Kelly Williams’ Honey-Roasted Balsamic-Vanilla Bean Fresh Fig Pastry Roses with Brie & Caramelized Honey-Pistachios runner up entry in the Sue Bee Honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
Honey-Roasted Balsamic-Vanilla Bean Fresh Fig Pastry Roses With Brie and Caramelized Honey-Pistachios
- 1/4 cup Sue Bee® Spun Honey
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced open lengthwise and seeds scraped out*
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet, aged balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- 4 fresh figs, stems trimmed off, sliced lengthwise into 6 pieces
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled a little thinner
- 4 1-inch cubes brie cheese
- 1 extra-large egg (beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water)
- 2 tablespoons shelled and salted pistachios
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- *Plus any last seeds you can get out of the vanilla bean, there's always a bit more
- **You can also add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In small bowl, add Sue Bee Spun Honey, the seeds from one vanilla bean and balsamic vinegar.
- Warm in microwave at 80 percent heat for 20 seconds.
- Stir to mix. (Add more vinegar if you'd like.)
- In another small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon of the honey sauce with 2 tablespoons shelled, salted pistachios.
- Pour onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully.
- Remove to rack to cool on baking sheet. Turn oven up to 400 F.
- Place sliced figs onto another parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with 1 tablespoon of the honey sauce.
- Roast in preheated oven for about 8-9 minutes.
- Remove to rack to cool on baking sheet. Unwrap (thawed) puff pastry sheet and roll out a little to smooth on lightly floured surface.
- With a pizza wheel, cut into 4 equal pieces, trim off corners to round, and cut in about halfway from each rounded corner in toward center.
- Place a 1-inch cube of brie in the center of each. Top with 4-6 slices cooled roasted figs, drizzle the tops of each with 1/4 teaspoon honey sauce. (How many slices of figs depends on size of figs.)
- Fold up 1 "petal" of dough wrapping around filling.
- Moisten the rest of the edges, and wrap second petal around first one from the opposite side lightly pressing ends to stick. Continue with other two.
- Tuck last two points under "rose" and cup in hand gently to round the base.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with rest. *Use excess corner trimmings to make leaves and place slightly under and next to roses.
- Brush all outsides with egg wash.
- Pop into preheated 375 F oven and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to a cooling rack. Place roses onto serving plates, drizzle each with last of re-warmed honey sauce.
- Garnish with caramelized honeyed-pistachios. Serve warm.
For Alternative Filling
- In small bowl, stir cream cheese with dark brown sugar and vanilla bean seeds if more in the pod until well-mixed. (*You can always add a 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract if no more seeds.)
- Divide into 4 small mounds, chill, and use in place of brie.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/