Barabara Estabrook’s Honey Caramel Thumbprints was a runner-up recipe in our Sweet Eats Holiday Recipe Contest! Make a batch for your next holiday cookie exchange or set some out for friends and family to enjoy while visiting during the holidays.
Honey Caramel Thumbprints
Write a review
- 1/3 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon Sue Bee Honey
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped quality white chocolate baking bar
For the caramel
- In a heavy medium saucepan melt butter over low heat then stir in Sue Bee® Honey, brown sugar and condensed milk. Increase heat to medium heat and cook, stirring until mixture begins to bubble.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly until caramel reaches 240 F when tested with a candy thermometer or until thickened – about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla then pour caramel into a medium bowl.
- Cool 30 minutes then stir in cranberries and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Line three large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
For the cookies
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy, using an electric mixer.
- Add confectioners sugar and extract; beat on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping down bowl and beaters.
- Whisk flour and salt together then add to butter mixture in two additions, beating on low until a soft dough forms. Stir in nuts until evenly distributed.
- Form 42 to 44 dough balls each about 1-1/4 inches in diameter and place 2 inches apart on lined sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, 18 minutes or until edges are golden, rotating sheets front to back half-way through baking time. Cool cookies completely on cookie sheets then fill each thumbprint with about 1 teaspoon honey caramel.
- Place white chocolate in a small dish set over a pan of simmering water (water not touching pan) and let soften. Stir until smooth then remove from over water and stir in the Sue Bee Honey. Drizzle chocolate over cookies.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/