Jodi Taffel’s Honey Custard Napoleons with Candied Lemon Peel entry in the Sue Bee Honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
Honey Custard Napoleons with Candied Lemon Peel
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons Sue Bee® Honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry
- Using a whisk, mix milk, Sue Bee Honey, cornstarch and vanilla in a large saucepan on medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Temper the eggs by whisking in some of the hot milk. Then add the eggs to the saucepan.
- Keep whisking over low heat until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve (to catch any egg that may have scrambled) into a clean bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Add the lemon zest, water and sugar to a saucepan and cook over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove zest, toss it in additional sugar and let dry until ready to use.
- Place Puff Pastry on a lightly floured cutting board and cut into 6 rectangles. Then place the rectangles on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook in a 400-degree oven 15 minutes, or until pastry has puffed up and tops are lightly browned.
- Carefully separate the puff pastry rectangles into 2 pieces each. (You’ll notice that there will be a natural middle spot).
- Use your fingers to depress a well in the bottom and fill each one with about ½ cup of the custard.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of the candied lemon peel on top and cover with the top of the puff pastry.
- Garnish with a little more custard and serve.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/