Steven Fisher’s Honey Herbed Tomatoes with Balsamic Sauce entry in the Sue Bee Honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
Honey Herbed Tomatoes With Balsamic Sauce
- 16 teaspoons plus additional 2 tablespoons Sue Bee® Honey
- 8 1 1/2- to 2-inch tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 tablespoons quality olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided in half
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 tablespoons chicken broth, which will be divided
- 1 small scallion or bunch of chives, finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat then add olive oil.
- Place 16 tomato halves cut side down in hot oil. Lightly salt with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Fry for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Turn off heat and carefully turn over tomatoes with a large spoon.
- Turn on heat to medium and add balsamic vinegar and 6 tablespoons of chicken broth to skillet.
- Lightly shake skillet to incorporate chicken broth and vinegar.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with additional 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Squeeze a teaspoon of Sue Bee Honey on the browned cut side of each tomato.
- Lightly simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes until tomato halves are soft but still hold their shape.
- Remove tomatoes with spoon to a serving dish with cut side up.
- Turn heat to medium low and add the other 2 tablespoons of chicken broth (use more if needed to create a syruplike sauce), then add the additional 2 tablespoons of Sue Bee Honey.
- Lightly reduce the sauce until it has the correct consistency and pour around the tomatoes, not over them.
- Garnish with sliced green onion, fresh thyme and rosemary.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/