Irish Soda Bread
- 1/4 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup margarine or shortening
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Mix together flour, baking soda and caraway seeds in large bowl; cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in raisins.
- Add buttermilk and Sue Bee Honey to flour mixture; stir to make soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. If dough seems too dry, add a bit more buttermilk.; if it seems too sticky, add more flour.
- Shape into flattened round ball and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush top with additional milk and cut an "X" in the top with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 375 F for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and crusty.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/