- 1/3 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 6 quarts water
- 1/2 cup poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1/2 cups unbleached white bread flour
- 1 tablespoon malt drink powder
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 (8 g) package dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a large bowl, stir together the warm water, sugar, canola oil, yeast (not instant), egg and malt; keep combining until the yeast dissolves.
- Stir in salt and one cup of the flour.
- Gently add enough flour to make a soft dough, about 3 cups.
- Knead your dough for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring in extra flour as you need it. When your dough is firm and smooth, cover with inverted bowl and let sit 10 minutes.
- Divvy up the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 10-inch rope, then curve each one around your hand, pressing together ends to make a bagel shape. You may need to use a few drops of water to help the ends stay together.
- Let bagels rise for 30 minutes.
- When ready, fill a large pot with the 6 quarts of water and then stir in the Sue Bee Honey; bring that up to a boil.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- When the honey-water has come up to the boil, drop in bagels and boil for about 90 seconds (1 1/2 minutes), turning only once.
- Drain your bagels on clean, dry dish towels and then place on baking sheets. Sprinkle both sides of bagels with seeds.
- Place your bagels in preheated oven and bake until golden in appearance, about 20 minutes, turning just once.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/