Sue Bee Honey Smoked Turkey
Write a review
- 12 oz. Sue Bee® Honey
- 12 lb. whole turkey
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons celery salt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. mesquite wood chips
- Preheat grill for high heat. For a charcoal grill, use about twice the usual amount of charcoal.
- Soak wood chips in a pan of water and set next to the grill.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey.
- Rinse the bird and pat dry.
- Place in a large roasting pan.
- Mix spices and oil in a medium bowl and pour mixture evenly over the turkey.
- Turn the turkey breast side down in the pan, and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place the roasting pan on the preheated grill.
- Throw a handful of the wood chips onto the coals.
- Close lid and cook for 1 hour, then add 2 more handfuls of soaked wood chips on the fire.
- Drizzle 1/2 the Sue Bee Honey over the bird, and replace the foil.
- Close the lid of the grill, and continue cooking 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 180 F in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Uncover turkey and carefully turn it breast side up in the roasting pan.
- Baste with remaining honey.
- Leave the turkey uncovered, and cook 15 minutes.
Sue Bee Honey http://www.suebee.com/